Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Sad Realization

Just a random post today.

I was sitting at the computer last night, finishing up a scrapbook page for an upcoming kit release and it hit me: OMG, I'm such an 80's child!

I was scrapping about one of my all-time fave movies, The Breakfast Club, and got to thinking: Is this really my favorite? I mean, there's Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off ... and as I started to recall movies, I realized that many of them were not the computer-generated 3D releases of the past few years (in fact, I rarely go to the movie theater anymore). Instead, they were the more classic storytelling ones from *gulp* 20+ years ago. (Wow, suddenly I feel ... old!)

So today, I've hopped onto the big wide world of the Internet (thought: what did we do without the Internet? It was only in it's fledgling stages in the early 80's ... yup, still feeling old), and pulled up a list of the top 100 movies of the 1980's.  Here's a sampling of what I think are some of the good ones:

  • E.T. (who doesn't love a happy ending)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Blade Runner
  • The Empire Strikes Back (have the entire DVD collection)
  • The Untouchables
  • The Princess Bride (totally a classic!)
  • Poltergeist
  • Back to the Future
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
  • Rain Man (awesome acting from Dustin Hoffman)
  • The Color Purple (story of triumph in difficult circumstances)
  • A Fish Called Wanda (my kind of humor; love John Cleese)
  • Caddyshack (eh, a little cheesy, but good for a laugh or two)
  • The Road Warrior (second movie in the Mad Max series - Mel Gibson at his finer moments)

... and the list goes on.  Okay, so I'll admit that some of these don't necessarily have the classic storytelling lines (a cartoon rabbit, for example), but still, movies I can watch over and over again.

Herein ends today's random thought.

No comments: