Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Geek In Me

Well, the geek in me loves taking my digital scrapping to new levels and trying new things, so taking classes every once in a while helps me push the boundaries a little. Right now, I'm taking The Digital Scrapbooker's Guide to Blending, a class led by Tiffany Tillman over at ReneePearson.com.  For just $20, it's great - a self-paced class with videos, handouts, and I've actually learned there is some method to the madness of blending modes - who knew?!  (well, Tiffany did - duh LOL).  Here's my first page for the class:


I used one of Tiffany's new Artisan Blends templates, which gave me a great foundation, but then blended papers above and below that large photo.  I love how the papers bleed through a little with the texture and patterns ... and how the cluster in the front really pops with the hints of color.

Now, if you're looking for a technique challenge, Audrey Neal's got an offer going via the DHD Blog - you can see the post here - and she's giving away a gift certificate to her store!  It's all about using patterned papers - and the bolder the better!  Scary?  Nah, not so much.  Here's something from my gallery where I've used patterns:



There's seven or eight different patterns here.  So, what makes the page "work"?  I've grounded the patterns with a solid and only used them in small amounts.  There's just enough pop, but not so much that it distracts from the photo.  It also helps that I stuck to just one kit (Audrey's Ahoy Love kit), so everything coordinates quite nicely.

Speaking of Design House Digital, if you're a fan, you'll know that the designers have been pairing up and putting out collab kits each and every week - and each week, something a little different (and if you're not a fan - why not?!).  I had the opportunity to play with this week's kit from Audrey Neal and Sara Schmutz called Be You.  Here's what I did - and I'm so in love with the stitching and paint splatters!


The softer color palette was, I'll admit, a bit of a challenge ... but I think this works, don't you?

I'll be back tomorrow with another blog post - I'm hosting one of the monthly challenges at DHD for July (yeah, another one) ... it's a doozie and definitely a challenge for some.  Stay tuned!

No comments: